I Will Not Choreograph The Next Destruction

I Will Not Choreograph The Next Destruction

Monday 16 February 2015

Jerry's Kids - Kill Kill Kill (1989)

Jerry's Kids - Kill Kill Kill (1989) Taang! Records
This was one of the first 'crossover' records I ever heard. And dear lord did I hate it when I was 15.
The dumb soloing, the stupid lyrics, the abandonment of the frenetic punk energy found on the 'Boston, Not L.A.' tracks. I hated everything about this record, especially 'Breathe and Fuck', Jesus wept. What a turd.

I've listened to it a few times over the years since then, each time becoming more bearable.
But what do I make of it now that i'm fond of metal? Is it even THAT metal? Well...

I'm gonna say it...this isn't metal. It's not really even 'crossover', it just doesn't chug. Sure, it has a butt full of, admittedly metal, solos. But no real metal-as-fuck riffage.

Its kinda surfy in place, its kinda rocky, and it has some metal flavoring, but to be honest, the majority of it is hardcore. So why the hell did it rub me up the wrong way for such a long time?

To be honest, I cant really put my finger on it. After listening to it a few times I actually like it.
I mean, it doesn't rip like 'Boston, Not L.A.' or 'Is This My World' but it definitely has its moments.
'Breathe and Fuck' is the first sign of slowing down, and at track three, maybe its too soon to change pace. While its nowhere near as horrendous as I remember it being, it's very long for what it is.With that said, it shows off a more experimental side to the band, which should never be discouraged.

I'd say that tracks like 'Breath and Fuck', 'Tired Eyes', 'Don't Belong' and 'Satan's Toy' show the experimental side in full motion, with Hendrix-style guitar work/wah effects, sound-clips, and longer arrangements on offer. Most of the other tracks are like a mixture of the 60s like guitar playing meshed with hardcore pace. And they mix it up pretty well, its not like a total convergence of those two approaches. Tracks like 'Bad Trip' and 'Back Off' start off with slow intros that eventually race into intense speeds. There is definitely some ripping hardcore here, it's just meshed in between more ambitious structures.

Sure, Rick doesn't sound like he's just escaped a mental asylum. The band isn't a dyed-in-wool 30 second hardcore holocaust. And they aren't as rabid in their approach. But if you take it for what it is, its not bad. Its a band expanding on their sound in an original manner. I can't say I've heard many 80s punk releases that mix punk, surf, metal, and rock, all into one cohesive record.

Would it be better if 'Satan's Toy' wasn't on the bad side of 6 minutes? would it be better if they cut down on the soloing? would it be better if they got rid of some songs? If you want a straight up hardcore record, then sure. But regarding when this record came out, 1989, Jerry's Kids were
fairly faithful to their roots while experimenting with their increased musicianship. Thumbs up.

Linky Link:

Here's a cool press release!

No comments:

Post a Comment