I Will Not Choreograph The Next Destruction

I Will Not Choreograph The Next Destruction

Saturday 14 February 2015

Gang Green - Another Wasted Night (1986)

Gang Green - Another Wasted Night (1986)

When I was younger, this was another record I just never 'got' after hearing their early material. Those tracks from 'Boston, Not L.A.' ripped shit up, they were some serious fastcore violence, unparalleled until Siege decimated everything.

On this outing Gang Green opt for a mix of punk and AD/DC love. What I didn't like when I first heard this was the vocals. He's singing? UGH! What happened to the throat shredding, petulant, bratty vocals of 'Boston, Not L.A.'? Couple that with the, by comparison, snail pace, really bummed me out.

With time on my side I can appreciate 'Another Wasted Night' and take it for what it is. They evolved from their (much loved!) spastic early material to a more melodic, rocky, song-based approach.With that said, I feel like i'm selling this record short. Its still punk as fuck, in-fact, its a total punk record.This isn't a metal record, its not a 'crossover' record, its not a rock record, its a punk record that treads on hardcore territory. You've got to admire the balls, the kings of hardcore slowing it down and writing-gulp-songs? Fuck, I didn't see that one coming!

For Gang Green, the initial reception was nowhere near as brutal as SSD or DYS experienced. In some ways that surprises me considering those keyboards on 'Voice Carry'! This is probably due to Gang Green valiantly sticking to punk while injecting a raucous 'rock' approach (as opposed to 'metalling' up). Couple that with the reworking of their hardcore classic 'Have Fun' and the generally good tunes, I suppose I get it. Yeah, I get it! This is a good record! Even for a guy who doesn't drink, 'Alcohol' is a ridiculously catchy tune!

If you're expecting Gang Green to RIP.IT.UP. at warp-speed, you'll be disappointed. Once again, as with SSD and DYS, this is about the songs, not the speed.

Linky Link:
https://mega.co.nz/#!MZZjzIBS!uO0zTHcth-pfhJBCS7pRiBKsf3g21tPo2qGkKvPe0i0

No comments:

Post a Comment